lunes, 2 de mayo de 2011

ADVANCED SPEAKING ADVICE AND SPEAKING SAMPLES



The advice is similar to what I have already given the Intermediate groups so please read that post.

We are going to practice the second part of the speaking exam which is related to a discussion with your partner. I would like you and your partner to choose one debating topic from HERE or HERE and prepare a discussion related to it, remember to take opposite sides at different times. The debate should last 3-5 minutes. Prepare it for the 9th/10th of May with your partner.

EXPRESSIONS FOR CONVERSATION AND PERSONAL COMMENT

(1) When you start saying something contributing to a conversation
making a contribution

First of all, I would like to say/state that.............
To begin with, I...................
In the first line, I.............

(2) What can you say instead of "I think" (don't sink, please)

I would say/think
In my opinion
To my mind
I am of the opinion that
I hold the opinion that

(3) When you want to stress your "personal opinion":

Personally I think
As far as I am concerned
As for me
As I take it
As far as I can see

(4) When you "agree" or when you "don't agree":

I entirely/quite agree with you.
I agree to (with) her plan.
I am of the same opinion.
I differ from/with you entirely.
I disagree with you: I am sure you're mistaken.
I stick to my opinion.
Let's agree to differ!

(5) When you want to say the "opposite" of what someone else said:

on the contrary! quite the contrary! just the opposite!
That is the very opposite of what I said.
That is quite the contrary to what I said.
I maintain the contrary.
In contrast to what you said, I maintain that...........

(6) When you are "quite sure" of something:

of course!
That goes without saying (It goes without saying
that......)
I contend/maintain that................
It's my conviction that..................

(7) When you want to "ask a question":

May I interrupt you?
There arises the question/point whether/if......
This question raises the whole issue

(8) When you "haven't understood":

I beg your pardon. / Pardon?
Could you repeat what you've just said? But slower, please./
Could you slow down a bit?

(9) If you should want to "correct a mistake":

Excuse me (for interrupting) you should have said:"....."

(10)When you want to "distinguish" (make a distinction between)

two aspects of a question, when you want to distinguish one
aspect from the other:
on the one hand on the other hand
in general in particular
generally speaking
on the whole
taken as a whole
at first sight on second thoughts

(11)When you want to "add" something:

In addition,.........................
Moreover,....................
Furthermore,........................
Finally,...........................

(12)When you want to "emphasize" something:

I would like to lay (put) emphasis (stress) on the fact
that..
I just want to point out that................
(13)When you want to "say the truth":
To be frank (with you),...................
Frankly (speaking),.........................
To say the truth,........................

(14)And if you are "not sure":

I don't know exactly.
I don't know for certain.

(A) General phrases:
in other words in this respect
to a certain degree/extent It depends on your point
of
in brief/short.......... view
To be brief,..................
To cut a long story short,...... Let me put it this
way:....
I don't know. - I don't know either. Nor/Neither do I.

IMPORTANT: TRY ALSO TO USE EXPRESSIONS AND GRAMMAR THAT WE HAVE WORKED ON IN CLASS AND THAT IS BASED ON THE BOOK.

REMEMBER THAT THE SPEAKING WILL BE ASSESSED IN ACCORDANCE WITH: FLUENCY, GENERAL PRONOUNCIATION, VARIETY OF GRAMMAR STRUCTURES, VARIETY OF VOCABULARY, COHERENCE AND RELEVANCE, COMPLETION OF THE TASK (THAT MEANS ANSWERING THE QUESTIONS ASKED).

Good luck! ; )

1 comentario:

  1. Hello LIZ. You are listing Gagan Preet. I just say WOW! You are such a great writer or author. Your think is so valuable. You have a great reflection. I have to learn many thing from your blogs. There are a good controversial topics. Thanks LIZ.

    ResponderEliminar